Moose on the Loose

During last weekend camping was the plan. Well, I guess three moose had camping on their agenda too. While in the canyon a momma moose with her twin calves decided they liked our camping spot too, and I wasn't going to say no to a momma moose.
While following them for quite a few hours momma moose was getting used to me being around. The calves weren't too sure about me being so close, but only about 20 feet away I was able to get one of the babies to pose and smile:
After some time of running and playing together, the babies started to get tired:
After a short nap the babies woke up and were ready for a snack. Forgetting I was there, the two calves walked toward me and started eating leaves on nearby trees. I could have reached out and touched them as they walked by, but didn't want to push my luck.

1 comments:

Patricia | September 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The pictures are great! The story is amazing. To think a mother animal allowed you so close to her and the babies that you experienced an opportunity of a lifetime. Nice job Derek!

Post a Comment